Saturday, 30 June 2012

M&T: The Queen's Rangers...

Right after selling off some unwanted Imperial Guards figures on ebay i have the funds to start my next project...


The Queen's Rangers 
for Muskets & Tomahawks (from Studio Tomahawk)
A Queen's Ranger
I will be building a Muskets & Tomahawks War Party using the Perry Miniatures from the American War of Independence.


Muskets & Tomahawks
M&T is a very interesting game, it is skirmish level tabletop wargame with a strong emphasis on narratives with the inclusion of a card deck to activate units and draw events such as harsh weather conditions.


The Rangers were raised by Lt. Col. Robert Rogers (of Roger's Rangers during the French & Indian War) who were later commanded by Lt. Col. John Graves Simcoe, who wrote a journal which can be found on Google Books and can be read for free.


Lt. Col. John Graves Simcoe
The Queen's Rangers were made up of American loyalists and were famed for their Light Irregular method of combat.  In Simcoes journal there are many notes on how the Light Infantry would fight without ammunition for their muskets, as Simcoe wanted to encourage a close-quarter combat doctrine.


The distinctive uniform of the Rangers was also designed to aid the infantry in blending into the surrounding environment.  In so many ways they were completely different from the armies of the Crown at the time and so I find hugely inspiring.


Queen's Ranger Uniform
I've always like building miniature armies with strong themes and as much I find Redcoats and Continentals very interesting the concept and methods of the Queen's Rangers are very appealing, and would make a visually stunning and unique project.


This is the first time I have ever done anything in a 'modern' period so very excited.
My Perry minis arrived today and I have enough models to build the following list...


Light/Ranger Officer
11 Light Infantry
6 Ranger
6 Indians


This should roughly build a 200 point War Party.  With room to expand into a larger force with the inclusion of more Rangers and Hussars.


Queen's Rangers Hussar Cavalry
So I hope this little intro will wet all your appetites for what is to come.  I think this is going to be a really fun project and I've always loved elite skirmishers I think the M&T system will really bring this army to life with its narrative aspects.


So stay tuned all!


Cheers MaL

No comments: